Geopark is an area which has a natural heritage value (geology). It is hoped to become a sustainable economic development strategy for the area through a good and realistic management structure. Thus, geopark is a job opportunities creator for the local community in terms of real economic gains. Excavation effort, growth and development of the economic value is usually done through a sustainable tourism industry.
Geopark is developed in a sustainable manner which blends harmoniously three diversity, namely Geology (Geodiversity), biological (Biodiversity) and Culture (Cultural Diversity). In conclusion, the management goal is to build and develop local economies with the protection of geological, biological, and culture diversity which contained in the region.
Geopark is basically combines the protection principles or values, education, and local economic growth based geotourism. To ensure that these values can be applied to a region, the geopark development plan should be integrated into the regional spatial planning in areas that have been built by the region.
Indonesia through the Batur Geopark (Taman Bumi Batur) is developing. It is hoped that the existance of the first Geopark in Idonesia will impact the emerging of another Geopark elsewhere in the world.
HISTORY OF Batur Geopark
Batur Caldera-Bali is proposed by Indonesian goverment to be the UNESCO Global Geopark Network incorporated in UNESCO by the Government of Indonesia since 2009. In 2011, through the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, this region for the first time recognized as one of the UNESCO's Global Geopark Network, however the establishment was suspended because there are still some shortcomings according to the results of the assessment by the AssessorIt was avowed through a Unesco official letter with numbers: SC/EES/GEO/GEOPARKS/GGN/2011/008893.
At the beginning of 2012, on cooperation between the Geological Association, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (EMR) with the Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy and the Government of the District of Bangli, Indonesia once again proposed the area of Mount Batur Caldera into the UNESCO Global Geopark Network (GGN-UNESCO). After going through several assessment and feasibility studies by the team of UNESCO GGN, eventually, Mount Batur Caldera-Bali officially joined the Global Geopark Network (GGN) of UNESCO. The inauguration was conducted by Tourism Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources and Minister for the Creative Economy on November 17, 2012.
Why Batur Caldera is proposed to be Geopark?
• Based on Van Bemmelen (19490, Batur Caldera is one of the most beautiful caldera, it is approximately 13,8x10 kilometer square, and other caldera structure formed in the center with a diameter of 7,5 km. The highest peak of Mount Batur 1.717 m dpl, or 686 m dpl, on the coordinates of 8˚14’30” S dan 115˚22’30”E.
• Ancient Batur eruption of ash deposition produced very thick, solid material called paras. Currently used as brick of padas excavated for building materials temples, houses and sculptures.
• Has a unique biodiversity that is managed by the Natural tourist park. The forest plants are generally consist of several species. The unique fauna are monkeys that live around the crater.
• The world-renowned animal in the Geopark area is Kintamani dog, called Gembrong. It's face is wolf-like face shape, but it's body is like Chowchow of China.
• One of the most unique cultures is the burial culture. In which the dead body was placed under the tree Tarumenyan (mepasah)
The Development Plan of Batur Caldera and the surrounding is based on SK Ka BG No 37.K/ 73 /BGL/2012
a. Geology of Mount Batur diversity includes 2 districts namely: Bangli and Gianyar Regency
b. Geosite which has been submitted to UNESCO, consists of 21 sites, and for the development has been inventerised approximately 63 in the Batur Caldera site and its surroundings.
It consists of :
1. Geosite : 28
2. Geoevidence : 20
3. Geofeature : 15
THE GLOBAL GEOPARK GOAL:
1. Environment conservation
3. Sustainable growth of the local economic and development
THE INTENTION OF GLOBAL GEOPARK :
1. Protecting the earth diversity.
2. Protecting the geology inheritance for the public.
Batur Geopark Team
Bangli Government Cultural and Tourism Office
Jalan Lettu Lila No. 9 Bangli
Phone/Fax. (0366) 91537
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com