In May, 2016, the Japanese Geoparks Network (JGN) commenced the “Capacity development to stimulate networking activities between geoparks in the Asia-Pacific” Project 2016 which is subsidized by the (FY2016) Official Development Assistance Grants for UNESCO Activities by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan.
The aim of the program is to stimulate geopark activities in the Asia-Pacific region by utilizing and sharing the experiences of the JGN in establishing and managing geoparks using a bottom-up approach, and to develop human resources of Japanese Geoparks to become more actively involved in international activities. The following three programs were implemented with participants from Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam this year.
1. Invitation to Geoparks Niigata International Forum (26th – 30th July. 2016. in Niigata City and other areas)
- Share geopark activities and challenges of target countries
- Visit Itoigawa UNESCO Global Geopark
2. Invitation to International Conference on UNESCO Global Geoparks
(26th – 30th Sep. 2016. in Torquay, England)
- Presentation of aspiring UNESCO Global Geopark from target country
- Join the Geofair with UNESCO Global Geoparks of Japan
3. Invitation to JGN National Conference (9th – 13th Oct. 2016, in Numazu City and other areas)
- Plan and manage parallel session “International geoparks collaboration” of JGN National Conference.
- Visit Izu Peninsula National Geopark and Japanese National Commission for UNESCO
Workshop during parallel session of JGN National Conference
Visiting Itoigawa UNESCO Global Geopark during Geoparks Niigata International Forum
A final program for this year will be held from 9th Dec. to 11th Dec.
1. Invitation to Japanese Geopark Evaluator Workshop (to participate as observers)
2. Hold a summary conference to summarize outcomes of project for this year and to examine activities for the next year.
The final report of the project will be uploaded on the JGN website.